Thursday, July 9, 2009

David Copperfield


I loved David Copperfield. Like the rest of my recent forays into Charles Dickens' novels, this one was inspired by a movie. Specifically, the 1999 Masterpiece Theater production of David Copperfield, which had an encore showing during this year's series "The Tales of Charles Dickens". If you haven't seen the movie, you should. It's wonderful! Some of my favorite british actors star in it: Maggie Smith (Prof. McGonagall), Alun Armstrong (Inspector Bucket in Bleak House), Ian McKellen (Gandalf), and even an adorable little 9 year old David Radcliffe (Harry Potter) - just to name a few. So, of course I had to read the book! It was more wonderful and beautiful and intricate than the movie, as is usually the case when comparing books to movies. While the film was moving, the book reaches into your soul, handcuffs itself to you, and shakes you up a bit until you feel like a different person. Dickens does that. He's pretty much the bomb. I loved the whole thing!

Minor frustration: I bought this book at a library book sale a while ago, and only just discovered (as I was reading and getting to the end and thinking, "There's an awful lot of plot left....I wonder how they're going to squeeze it all into the few pages left here...") that the book I bought was only Volume One of the novel David Copperfield! So I had to get it from the library so I could finish it. I've been searching on eBay and Amazon for the correct Volume Two to match my Volume One, but I've not been having any luck. *frustration*

No comments: