Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan


Summary (some spoilers so highlight to read):
He's b-a-a-ack! Despite their best efforts, Carter and Sade Kane can’t seem to keep Apophis, the chaos snake, down. Now Apophis is threatening to plunge the world into eternal darkness, and the Kanes are faced with the impossible task of having to destroy him once and for all. Unfortunately, the magicians of the House of Life are on the brink of civil war, the gods are divided, and the young initiates of Brooklyn House stand almost alone against the forces of chaos.

To find the answer they need, the Kanes must rely on the murderous ghost of a powerful magician who might be able to lead them to the serpent’s shadow... or might lead them to their deaths in the depths of the underworld...


My rating: *****
It was a very satisfying ending. Sure, it was a bit predictable with it's big final battle and several storylines played out how I thought the would (and should), but there were still a lot of surprises. Carter and Sadie really came into their leadership roles and their powers. I adore Sadie. She is so tough and hilarious! I was dying to find out how the whole Walt/Sadie/Anubis love triangle would play out and I have to admit - that was a solution that I've never seen before. (Spoiler: Turn Walt and Anubis into the same person! Definitely original, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Feels kinda creepy and weird to me. :D) Rick Riordan does it again, and even leaves it just a pinch open for when he wants to come back to this world for another series. He is turning into a bit of a book factory, but he keeps delivering on quality so I'm not going to complain. Even though I am starting to run out of room on my Rick Riodan shelf.

Highly recommended for fans of mythology and if you've enjoyed other books by Rick Riordan.

No comments: