Monday, March 25, 2013

The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test #3)

From Goodreads:
Love or life.
Henry or their child.
The end of her family or the end of the world.
Kate must choose.


During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can't stop her--until Cronus offers a deal.

In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he'll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of the council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead.

With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything.

Even if it costs her eternity.


My Rating: 2 / 5 stars

SPOILERS for books one and two

Saddest thing about this book? My reaction right now is, "It's finally over! I never have to return to this series!" You know, I really hate it when I don't love a book, but I feel compelled to read the sequels because of dreadful cliffhangers. The first book in this series (The Goddess Test) piqued my interest because, hello, greek mythology. It was much more boring than I'd hoped. I went on with book two because of a) the cliffhanger and b) I hadn't hated book one. I did NOT like book two, but the cliffhanger was much worse. I don't deal well with child peril. I had to know what happened. And so here I am. I've finally finished this series and I will not be in a hurry to read anything else by Aimee Carter.

This book finally ramps up with a bit of action, but it feels too little too late. Plus, we never actually see the battles the gods are fighting against Cronus until the very end. Kate is whiny and annoying the whole book and she has seriously taken her "sacrifice me to save everyone else" complex too far. And I was sooo worried about her being pregnant and kidnapped by people who wanted to kill her baby the moment it was born. Wanna know how that turned out? It was resolved by a couple pages in, by the way. Everything's fine and Kate's body is magically returned to a pre-pregnant state. Maybe it's just my own current pregnant hormones and emotions talking here, but seriously???!!??? Lame. Maybe I'm just jealous, but that fact, combined with Kate allowing herself to be separated from her child made me feel like she knew nothing and cared nothing about being a mother. What was a really good source of potential emotion became a distant thing that Kate thought of on occasion "Gee, I hope I can get my baby back soon..." If I were her, I'd be going all freakin' mother bear on Cronus. She disappointed me.

And why is it that we have to see so much flirting still between Kate and James? Kate is married to Henry (who is still the most boring lord of the underworld that ever existed). I don't want to hear Kate promising James he'll be her first affair, even if they are just joking.

I found the plot predictable, the fight scenes boring, the surprise twist inane, and pretty much every aspect of this book disappointing. But not really. Because I wasn't expecting to love it. I just had to know what happened to the baby.

Content: Plenty of swearing, implied but not on page sex (they are married now), some blood at the end, but not much else violence-wise.

No comments: