Friday, June 5, 2009

The Giver


I haven't read this book in years and years, and since I recently got it at a book sale I figured I might as well. I'd forgotten how much I liked it! Although, since I've done quite a bit of growing up since I last read it, I found it even deeper and full of more controversy than I remembered. For example, being a mother, I found it even more shocking/disturbing/horrifying when Jonas views the video of his father "releasing" the newborn infant (sorry if that's too big of a spoiler for anyone out there who hasn't read it). The Giver is a beautiful and haunting book. I've just discovered that there are two sequels, so I'm excited to read more about the world Lois Lowry's created.

2 comments:

Launi said...

this is one of my all time favorite books! i like the original better than the sequels, but they are very good too and well worth reading.

Bonnie Parks said...

I agree about the Giver being beautiful and haunting. Fascinating too. I'm in the third book now. Just don't plan on Gathering Blue being a taditional sequel, just picking up where Giver left off. It's a sequel in a similar way that Extras is an Uglies sequel. For those who have read those books. But I liked Gathering Blue, and I'm interested to see what's going to happen in Messenger.