Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


How I loved this book! It's been very popular lately and pretty much the book club book, so I decided, hesitantly, to try it. I don't always trust things that are popular, but this is a book that is of good report and praiseworthy that should be sought after. It is not a silly book, which you might think from its title. It's about the nazi occupation of a british island named Guernsey during World War Two. Correction, it's about the people who make the most of British occupation of their island during WWII (partly by forming a literary society) and the author who writes their story after the fact. The book is all told in letters, which may seem strange, but it works. And oh how it works well! It is funny and romantic and heartbreaking and beautiful. I loved every minute and when I finished it I immediately added it to my long "books to acquire" list.

No comments: