Thursday, April 28, 2011

Wives and Daughters


*sigh* Loved it. It was such a pleasure to read. I've loved the movie for a few years, so I don't know why it's taken me so long to read this book. Everything great about the movie times ten. I enjoyed getting into all the character's heads and figuring out what they were thinking and feeling The ONLY bad thing about this book is that it's not finished. Yeah. Elizabeth Gaskell had one chapter left to write when suddenly, in the middle of tea with friends and in the middle of speaking a sentence, she fell over dead (according to the introduction in my book).

How DARE she????

Anyway. It's not all that bad, though, because there was a nice section at the end of my copy going over how Elizabeth Gaskell had planned to end the book. It gave a bit of closure, but my solution was to immediately spend the next couple of days watching the mini-series and drinking up that last scene.

Oh it's so good.

If you like Austen, you really need to check out Elizabeth Gaskell. North and South is another big favorite of mine.

No comments: