Monday, July 11, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows


I know I've reviewed and/or talked about Harry Potter multiple times on this blog, but after I finished reading this today, I just felt the need to write about it. I love this series so much and I think this final book is one of the finest pieces of literature to ever grace the planet. It's the culmination of 7 books worth of plot layers and character development and emotion and fighting against evil and I just don't know how any other book will ever top it. I know I will be rereading this book (and the entire series) many times over the rest of my life. Each time I've read it I've spotted something new or found a particular spot that I especially enjoyed. I find the whole experience cathartic. I can't wait to see the final movie (which was my whole purpose in rereading this anyway)!!!!!!!

I've come to connect Harry Potter with my birthday - being in the middle of July - because I've seen so many of the movies or read so many of the books right after they've come out either on or directly around my birthday. This will never happen again and it makes me a little sad. Will there ever be anything else like this again? Another series that spans all ages of readers and makes us all appreciate the beauty of a well-told story? Will there be any other book series worth going to a midnight release party for? I just don't know. I hope so, but it's hard to imagine loving anything as much as I love this series. It feels like it's been a bit part of my life for so many years. And now I think I've waxed nostalgic long enough, don't you?

No comments: