Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tom Sawyer


The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
by Mark Twain

I'm glad that I had to read this book for Omaha's winter reading club (I can get a coupon for the book sale and a free library bag if I read five books, one of them being Tom Sawyer). I thoroughly enjoyed reading Tom. It's funny how a character who is so self-obsessed can still be so charming! This is not just a children's book. It's a classic. Who could ever forget the hilarious whitewashing scene, or the part when Tom walks in on his own funeral? I love Tom's imagination. It makes me more determined to provide a less plugged-in childhood for my own kids. This is a brilliant book.


P.S. So...who shot Tom Sawyer? Well, the answer is...

No one.

I guess there's a possibility that it happens in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, but we'll see. I have a sneaking suspicion (if you know Grandpa Wilde you wouldn't be surprised either) that his three questions for me are all trick questions.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I vaguely remember him getting shot in Huckleberry Finn, but my class only skimmed the book, so I don't remember who did it.