Monday, April 27, 2009

The Bronze Bow


This book is a gem, and I cannot believe it's taken me so long to read another book by Elizabeth George Speare. She wrote one of my all-time favorites, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, and three of her books have earned the right to wear one of those shiny, beautiful Newbery stickers. This one earned the Newbery in 1962, and it made me wish that something as deeply religious as this work could have a chance of earning a Newbery nowadays. This is the kind of literature that the world needs more of. It's beautiful and uplifting. This story of a bitter young man is contemporary with the time of Christ's ministry on earth. This book was a good reminder to me of the things that are most important in my life. I think everyone should read it.

1 comment:

Sonia B said...

I just found this one at DI for 50 cents. Can't wait to read it . . . it's a ways down on my pile though. Guess I'll have to move it up.