Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My Double Life

Well, I told you I was going to read everything Janette Rallison's ever written, didn't I? Here's the goodreads summary:

Her whole life, Alexia Garcia has been told that she looks just like pop star Kari Kingsley, and one day when Alexia's photo filters through the Internet, she's offered a job to be Kari's double. This would seem like the opportunity of a lifetime, but Alexia's mother has always warned her against celebrities.


Rebelliously, Alexia flies off to L.A. and gets immersed in a celebrity life. Not only does she have to get used to getting anything she wants, she romances the hottest lead singer on the charts, and finds out that her own father is a singing legend. Through it all, Alexia must stay true to herself, which is hard to do when you are pretending to be somebody else!


This is Janette's second most recent release (it came out right in between the Fair Godmother books), so I figured this would be a pretty safe one to check out next. It's not quite as high school-y as her earlier titles. So LOVED it. Janette Rallison may not be an exact fit for everyone, but her writing style just clicks with me. She's just so funny!!! I'd put in quotes to prove it to you, but I'm not sure if they would be quite as uproariously funny not in context. Also, Janette Rallison really has a way of putting pure human heart into her stories. Even if they are about teenagers, I come away feeling like they were written just for me and I learned something new about myself. There's real emotion in these stories and I even teared up during one scene at the end. So, was it a bit formulaic maybe? Yes. Was it easily predictable? Also yes. Was the ending a bit too perfectly happy? Maybe, but I wouldn't change it. None of these problems matter because I loved every minute of my reading experience with this book and was a happier person for reading it.

On a side note, I was reading a past entry on Janette Rallison's blog (funny reading in itself) and she was addressing readers' complaints that this story just isn't plausible. Well, she apparently discovered that Liv Tyler discovered Aerosmith was her father in the same way Lexia discovers in My Double Life. Check it out here. Crazy, no?

No comments: