Thursday, August 30, 2012

Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Free Throws

From Goodreads:
Going head-to-head with your best friend is never easy, on the court or off.

Josie loves hottie Ethan Lancaster, the captain of the basketball team, but she never can do or say the right thing in front of him. So how can it be fair that Ethan is only interested in her best friend, Cami, when Cami isn't even trying for his affection? Or is she?

Cami dreams of winning her basketball team's coveted MVP award, and earning the chance to take the court during a special halftime demonstration with WNBA star Rebecca Lobo, but her best friend, Josie, is a better player. So how can it be fair that Josie is a shoo-in for the honor if she is barely interested in basketball in the first place and isn't even trying to be the best? Or is she?


My Rating: ***

I'm always looking for a good, clean, fun contemporary, but for some reason I can hardly ever find ones that I like. This one is good, definitely clean, kind of fun, but not brilliant.

Generally, I adore Janette Rallison. I own probably 7 (maybe 8?) of her books. Most of them I've bought used from random places (though I highly recommend buying her My Fair Godmother books - they are far and away her best). I picked this one up at DI for 25 cents. I saw it, squealed "Janette Rallison" and bought it.

I'm not sad I spent money on it, because it certainly was fun (and really, 25 cents? even for cheapskate me I think I can manage not to feel guilty for spending 25 cents). I just couldn't get that into the story or the characters and I didn't necessarily love the way it ended either. Maybe it's like this: some YA contemporaries manage to capture deep emotions and move me. This one really is a fluffy teenage story about silly crushes that don't pan out and friendships that struggle because of dumb things but get worked out. I'm sure there are pre-teen or teen girls who would enjoy it, but for me it's not a reread.

But, being Janette Rallison, it is ridiculously funny at times. She is the queen of the awkward situation. :D

Recommended for Rallison fans and younger teens.

2 comments:

Deborah Julene said...

I thought this was a cute fluffy book. It definitely wasn't great, but it was a quick read that made me giggle every once in awhile. Great review!

Debz @ Debz Bookshelf

Emily said...

Thanks Debz! I agree - Janette Rallison books are the perfect fluffy reads. Not a lot of brain power involved, but always funny and stress-relieving. Sometimes they are exactly what I need. Thanks for the comment!