Friday, September 28, 2012

Fall Reading List

I'm trying to be more organized about what I read and maybe a bit less gluttonous, so I've made a list of the books I want to read this fall. Hopefully It'll help me be a bit more well-rounded as a reader (I'm trying to include more classics and such in my diet :D)

Books for Halloween:

Read 3 - 5

My options are:
 It's a classic, right? I've never read it.
 
 

 My husband (the German scholar) is a huge Faust fan and is always telling me I should read a translation. It's totally creepy and would be perfect for Halloween. If only it wasn't so long...
 
 
 
 Frankenstein would be a reread for me, but I loved it so much I really should read it again.
 
 
 These two are Frankenstein prequels, YA style. They've been on my radar for a little while and are currently both waiting at my library for me to pick up. Will definitely be reading them!
 

 I love Agatha Christie! I haven't read this one yet, but I own it, so I think I'll pick it up soon.
 
 
 My favorite Agatha Christie! Time for a reread.
 
 
 A new YA retelling of And Then There Were None. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it translates into a modern story. The reviews on Goodreads are pretty polarized (seems people either hate or love it) so I guess I'll have to see where I fit into the mix.
 
 
 Creepy and highly recommended to me by several friends. I think it's a must for this year.
 
 
 I've already read it but I can't think of a more perfect Halloween book!
 
 
 More Flavia. Need I say more?
 
 
This one makes the Halloween list since it is a murder mystery. I'm so worried about it! The blurbs all sound so boring. But.... it's J.K. Rowling. How can I not read it? I'm right in the front of my library's hold line for it, so I think I'll be getting it soon.
 
 

Classics I Own (both rereads and first reads):

Read 1 - 2

Options:

 It's been years since I read it, but the movie trailers are making me want to pick this classic back up.
 
 
 It's a favorite. And it's been too long.
 
 
 1. I've never read it. 2. I'm dying to see the movie. Pretty good reasons, no?
 
 
 I bought this a while ago and have been meaning to read it ever since. I love Arthurian legends and Disney's The Sword in the Stone. It's high time I actually got around to it.
 
 
 It's about rabbits. I know. But I keep hearing amazing things and I think I really ought to read it once in my life and I've been putting it off too long.
 
 
My least favorite Austen. She deserves another chance.


Georgette Heyer:

Read 1

Georgette Heyer is an author I've been meaning to read FOREVER. It seems like I really ought to like her books, but I've never gotten around to it. So, I've been researching blog posts and goodreads listopia and I've finally made a list of potential Georgette Heyers to try. These are supposed to be her best. Please, PLEASE tell me if you have a favorite. Here are my options:
 
The Grand Sophy
Corinthian
Venetia
The Talisman Ring
The Convenient Marriage
A Civil Contract
These Old Shades
The Devil's Club
Cotillion
The Masqueraders
False Colours
Arabella
Frederica
Sylvester
Friday's Child
 

Writing Books:

Read 1

I'm trying to read more about writing, and this is supposed to be one of the best. Also, being by Stephen King, it puts off a sufficiently creepy vibe for October reading. :D
 
 

YA/MG New Releases (and others):

Read lots :D

Options:
 Out October 2nd! I've already pre-ordered it and can't wait to dive in.
 
 
 Sequel to Ruby Red, which was a favorite from last year. Wonderful time travel!
 
 
 I'm a little behind on this one; most everyone I know (in the book blogging world) has already read it since it started much-hyped. The hype has died down a bit and this book disappointed a lot of people, but I'm still looking forward to reading it myself.
 
 
 Another much-hyped recent release. Most reviews I've seen are alarmingly positive. I'm excited to check it out!
 
 
 Girl of Fire and Thorns would be a reread. I really liked it last year, but I was so heartbroken by the ending. From what I'm hearing about the sequel, I'm in for some serious goodness. The Crown of Embers is already released too! I need to get on it!
 

 Pirates. Assassins. Curses. Magic. Romance. YES!!! Out October 2nd.
 
 
 Sequel to Daughter of Smoke and Bone, which I loved. Can't wait to read this! Out November 6th.
 
 
Final book in the Matched trilogy! Out November 13th. I can't wait!


I think that might keep me busy for a bit. :D

What's on your to-read list this fall? Do you like reading classics? Any YA releases out soon I missed? Any Georgette Heyer or Halloween recommendations for me? Too many questions? ;)

No comments: