Friday, September 14, 2012

Wonder

From Goodreads:
I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.

August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?

R. J. Palacio has written a spare, warm, uplifting story that will have readers laughing one minute and wiping away tears the next. With wonderfully realistic family interactions (flawed, but loving), lively school scenes, and short chapters, Wonder is accessible to readers of all levels.


My Rating: *****

On principle I know I have to give any book that can make me cry like this one did five stars. This story really touched my heart and has been the first book in a long time (okay, not counting Palace of Stone, which I already knew I would love) that I sacrificed everything to read. I couldn't put it down and I wouldn't read it while trying to run on the treadmill because I knew it would make me cry. :D So, I missed a run for Wonder, but it was completely worth it.

What a beautiful story. I think everyone should read it. Auggie was so lovable and funny and it was amazing to get into his head and see things from his perspective. I also liked that the story was told from his family and friends' points of view at times, because dealing with that kind of issue affects everyone in a person's life.

There are so many hard issues dealt with here, but it's all done in a light-handed way, somehow making it more powerful. It really had that quiet Newbery flavor to it. Definitely recommended to fans of recent Newbery-type books like Okay For Now.

Simply sweet (but not sappy) with lots of real, flawed people. I came away from it feeling all warm and fuzzy and teary and wanting to recommend it to everyone I know. Go read it!

No comments: