Friday, May 20, 2011

If I Stay


This one has been circulating book blogs for a while and it immediately caught my eye. Here's what goodreads has to say:

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...


A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.


I personally love stories about life after death or about what happens between life and death. I loved the concept of this book and its execution was gorgeous. I was really impressed by Gayle Forman's writing. I read the whole book in one sitting because I was so into it (it's not very long also). The story is told mainly in flashbacks. Oh, another element I loved is that Mia is a very talented cellist and music played a big part in the story. This book had me crying in several places. It's very sad and very raw at times. I love that it had so much to do with family and wasn't just a romance. I like romances, but they need to be well-balanced with other plot elements before I really love them. I thought this book did it perfectly. I won't tell you how it ends, but it left me feeling very grateful for all that I have been blessed with.

No comments: