Friday, May 20, 2011

Steel

Sixteen-year-old Jill has fought in dozens of fencing tournaments, but she has never held a sharpened blade. When she finds a corroded sword piece on a Caribbean beach, she is instantly intrigued and pockets it as her own personal treasure.

The broken tip holds secrets, though, and it transports Jill through time to the deck of a pirate ship. Stranded in the past and surrounded by strangers, she is forced to sign on as crew. But a pirate's life is bloody and brief, and as Jill learns about the dark magic that brought her there, she forms a desperate scheme to get home—one that risks everything in a duel to the death with a villainous pirate captain.

Time travel, swordplay, and romance combine in an original high-seas adventure from New York Times bestseller Carrie Vaughn
.


Can you see why I was interested? I love time travel. I love girl-on-a-boat stories (the best one ever is The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi). Also, Pierce is on vacation in the Bahamas when she finds the sword on the beach. I happen to be going to the Bahamas in a couple months on our cruise (!!! Yay !!!). I really should have just saved this book for my cruise. It's very much a vacation book, because it's pure fluff. 


There's nothing really substantial or captivating about this book; it relies on an interesting setting and has a pretty weak - and boring - plot. It sounded so much more exciting from the synopsis, but it turned out to be downright dull. Oh, and the romance? Pshaw. It shouldn't be called a romance. I guarantee you right now: THERE IS NONE. I kept waiting for it, thinking it might make the book more interesting, but it never happened. The "supposed" romance (I'm guessing) was a person who was like a brother to Pierce the whole time and who she had maybe one romantic thought about. I won't tell you how it ends, though I'm tempted, but trust me - it's very unfulfilling. The whole book is about as unmemorable as they come. I had a hard time writing this review because it took me a while to remember what even happened in the book; I forgot it as soon as I read it. In a nutshell, NO. Just skip it.

No comments: