Monday, August 10, 2009

Better than Twilight?

Yeah...I thought that would get your attention.


But I think I have to disagree with the reviewers (of which there were several, surprisingly) who claimed that The Hourglass Door was a better read than Twilight. I enjoyed this book just fine, but for many reasons I just think it doesn't compare. I also think it's a bit of a copycat book. Here we have a high school student who meets a devastatingly handsome and mysterious guy who is clearly different from the rest of his classmates. Then of course, her love for said mysterious guy draws her into a dangerous world and various adventures ensue. Sound familiar? Other than that, though, it wasn't bad. I love the first chapter, but felt it was a little slow until the last quarter of the book or so. I love time travel stories, so that element definitely boosted the story for me. I think one of the reasons people have loved this book is because of the male protagonist, Dante. I myself am not necessarily one to be swept off my feet by a bit of whispered Italian. That said, this book was well written with a few fascinating original plot elements; but, alas, it was no match for Stephenie Meyer's engrossing and vibrant world.

No comments: