Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Far Pavilions


It took me the better part of two (no, probably three) weeks to read this book. It's FAT. And epic. It scans such a huge period of time for one person. A lot of YA novels take place in a matter of days. This book covers decades. I really enjoyed it. I felt like I really got to know the main character, Ashton, and everything that made him who he was. I loved knowing his entire history and I liked the exotic setting. It made me curious and I ended up doing a little outside research on India and the British occupation. I think the Indian practice of suttee is absolutely dreadful. The stories from Ash's childhood were moving and intense, his adulthood, even more so. Loved the romance as well. Very slowly developed and very real. I had a little trouble about 200 pages before the end, because the last bit of the book is all a description of one battle. Oh and a nasty massacre it was. But it was moving and there are certain characters (won't reveal names because I'm anti-spoiler) that I wanted to cry over when it was all said and done. I saw it coming (seriously, anyone who ever quotes "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" in a book is just asking for it), but it didn't make it any easier. Overall, this is a heavy and intense book that is both rich and fulfilling. Absolutely worth a read.

No comments: