Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Musician's Daughter


When I found this book and read the description, I thought I'd hit the jackpot. YA musical historical fiction. Haydn is one of the main characters! Also, Susanne Dunlap's most resent book has gotten great reviews from book bloggers. Despite all that, I was a bit disappointed with The Musician's Daughter. I couldn't help but feel that the characters were a little flat and under-developed. I wanted to get to know them better. The writing was good, and the history was interesting, but I never quite got into it. The mystery was... solveable. I guessed the ending very early on. Also, there's no romance in this book. I'm not saying that every book needs romance, but I think that this one would have benefitted from some. Just my opinion. I was hoping that this would be exactly what I'm looking for, but it wasn't. Looks like if I want to find the perfect book for my interests, I'll have to write it myself. Ha! Wish me luck with that one.

No comments: